Beginner Progressive Learning Package (PLP)
Starting each month, May to October
Here is the most satisfying and most economical way to learn to kayak – all packed into one single month! This intensive course provides you with everything you need to get started in kayaking: a solid foundation of paddling skills, safety training, and experience with river running. There is no other program like it.
Here are some of the advantages:
- The intensive PLP schedule accelerates your learning curve, so you can build skills quickly and progressively. Paddling is about developing good muscle memory and good judgement. By dedicating a solid month to learning the sport, you will be ready to take on the challenges of the river with your friends.
- Students progress together as a PLP group. By the end you will have a set of paddling partners at your level of skill – great for planning future excursions!
- You will have a single top instructor dedicated to your PLP group, understanding where you are in the sport, and committed to helping you progress.
- If you can safely transport a boat on your vehicle, you are invited for a small, additional fee to take home a set of equipment for the entire month. This enables you to practice on your own, outside the scheduled classes. (See our equipment and rental policy for details) .
- Free kayaking Tuesdays – You can get an extra evening of practice and hang out with paddling friends. We supply boats, equipment and guidance.
- Beginner PLP Guarantee: Any beginner PLP student may attend classes after the end of a month’s program to the end of the season, until he/she is satisfied to have mastered the skills covered in that course. If you have completed the Beginner PLP, but don’t quite have those roll steps down solid, or need more practice on leans and peel outs in current, you can continue to come out until you are satisfied that you have mastered the skills? Good until the end of the season.
PLP Package programs begin the first weekend of every month of the season, May through October. If you are interested in a package, but are unable to commit to the PLP, you might be able to take a river lesson package. If you are unsure about committing to the full program, taking an intro to river kayaking package along with a river rolling package will allow you the extra flexibility you may need.
Compare costs: The cost for the month-long package is $640 and provides 32 hours of expert instruction (at a rate of $20/hr). You save by taking a PLP compared to taking an equivalent number of classes separately. This package is a far better value than any comparable program. It includes all necessary equipment and free practice on Tuesdays.
- Week I: Saturday and Sunday mornings river classes.
- Week II: Tuesday evening practice session, Wednesday evening rolling class, Sunday morning river class.
- Week III: Tuesday evening practice session, Wednesday evening rolling class, Sunday morning river class.
- Week IV: Tuesday evening practice session, Wednesday evening rolling class, Saturday rescue class, Sunday day trip to a nearby river.
Prerequisites: Good health and ability to swim.
Go to our registration page to sign up and consult the calendar for dates.